Jezebel is looking for a senior editor to commission, assign and edit stories. These include interviews with and profiles of fascinating public figures, investigations, deep-dives into interesting corners of the internet, mysteries and fun romps that sit at the intersection of culture, power, sex and feminism.
A Jezebel editor is full of ideas and knows how to develop a topic into a story, can guide a writer throughout their reporting to bring out the most compelling characters and story elements, is skilled at structuring longform narratives for maximum impact, and is a deft line editor who understands that length does not equate to quality. You will work with both staff writers and freelancers and will ideally come with your own roster of talented freelance writers. The ideal editor is based in New York, but location is flexible for the right person.
The Ideal Candidate Will
- have 2-3 years’ experience in a fast-paced digital newsroom
- be able to package news stories quickly, from visuals to headlines
- have experience managing writers
- respond nimbly to news and cultural events with tonally appropriate stories
- have significant experience writing, assigning, and editing
- be able to turn a straight news story into copy that reflects a strong Jezebel voice and point of view
- be self-motivated and comfortable publishing to the site with little oversight
- be organized and detail-oriented
- be able to edit and report on a landscape of gender—including non-binary identities—not just “women’s issues.”
- Be familiar with the Jezebel voice and audience.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The Takeout and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
Want to report this job listing? Contact us here and help us maintain the quality of job listings.
Couldn’t Find a Suitable Role?
Join our 250+ subscribers!
Get new job alerts, once a week.